Come explore the principles of asanas and the intention behind them. While refining the art of observation, we will investigate the anatomy of each pose. We will look for ways to maximize the benefits of the pose through verbal and physical adjustment. We will use both gross anatomy and subtle anatomy in our approach. The proper structural alignment plus the energetic purpose can help us arrive at our goal of “stirum sukum asanam”, strength and ease in the posture.
A general knowledge of bones and muscles may help the student reap greater benefits in understanding the structural foundation. We will explore modifications when appropriate as well as the use of minimal props. The class will be experiential and highly participatory. Students will be adjusted and have the opportunity to adjust other students.
This workshop is perfect for yoga teachers as well as practitoners who want to increase their knowledge to deepen their own personal practice. It is not suitable for brand-new students of asana.
GINGER KAMALESH HOOVEN, Certified Ayurvedic Practitioner and E-RYT500, has been teaching yoga for 13 years. A Mount Madonna resident since 2002, she has benefitted greatly from Baba Hari Dass's mandate: Teach to Learn. Her ongoing study of Anatomy and Physiology, especially from an Ayurvedic standpoint, has greatly influenced her teaching. She teaches in all our Yoga Teacher Trainings as well as the College of Ayurveda.
- Continuing Education Credit for nurses.
- Fulfills the spiritual practice prerequisite for John F. Kennedy University's Graduate School for Holistic Studies.
- Qualifies for YTT 500. You must apply to the YTT 500 program before taking this class for credit.
(including tuition, meals, lodging, and facilities use)
|Commuting (Day use, meals & facilities)||$384|
|Dormitory (4-7 to a room)||$466|
|Triple (3 to a room)||$488|
|Double (2 to a room or cabin)||$508|
|Double with Bath (2 to a room)||$532|
|Single (1 to a room or cabin)||$570|
|Single with Bath (1 to a room)||$620|
- A deposit of $100 is required with registration. Balance is due upon arrival.
- CANCELLATION or CHANGE in REGISTRATION
Deposits are non-refundable and are not transferable to another person. For cancellations received at least 2 weeks before the program starts, the deposit less a $50 fee will be credited to any other program within one year. No credit is available for cancellations less than two weeks prior to the program start date, for no-shows, or for leaving an event early. Housing changes incur a $20 change fee.
- Registration check-in for this program is from 4:00 pm to 6:30 pm.
- Dinner is served from 5:30-6:30 pm on Friday and 5:00-6:00 pm on other days.
- If you will be arriving late, please ask us to save a dinner for you.
- Orientation begins at 7:00 pm.
- This program will end at 5:00 pm on Sunday and dinner is included in the cost.